jamaica_flag_wave2

USCIS to Close its Office in Kingston, Jamaica, on March 1

On March 1, 2013, USCIS will permanently close its field office in Kingston, Jamaica and the USCIS Field Office in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic will assume Kingston’s former jurisdiction.

The Kingston Field Office had jurisdiction over Jamaica, Anguilla, Aruba, The Bahamas, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Curaçao, Montserrat, Turks and Caicos Islands, and Guantanamo Bay Naval Station.

After March 1, 2013, applications or petitions previously accepted at the Kingston Field Office should be filed as directed below.

Application Processing after March 1, 2013
Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative
Residents of Jamaica, Cayman Islands and Guantanamo Bay Naval Station must follow existing procedures for all petitioners residing in countries that have no USCIS offices: Form I-130 must be filed with the USCIS Chicago Lockbox. More filing information is available on the Form I-130 page.

In certain emergency situations, the USCIS Field Office Director with jurisdiction over the country where the petitioner resides may authorize the Department of State to accept the I-130 at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. More information is available on the USCIS Centralizes Filing of Form I-130 page.

Form I-407, Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident
Status The U.S. Department of State’s Kingston consular section will assume responsibility for processing Form I-407 for residents of Jamaica.

Residents of Anguilla, Aruba, The Bahamas, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Curaçao, Montserrat, and Turks and Caicos Islands will continue to be processed by their respective U.S. Department of State consular sections.

Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an Immediate Relative
The Hague Adoption Convention governs international adoptions in Anguilla, Aruba, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Curaçao, Montserrat, and Turks and Caicos Islands, which follow the procedures outlined here.

In regard to Jamaica and The Bahamas, two countries that are not parties to the Hague Adoption Convention:

A Form I-600 can be filed for children from these countries with a USCIS Lockbox in the United States, at the address given in the form’s instructions.
The U.S. Department of State consular sections in these countries will assume responsibility for processing I-600 petitions filed with them, as long as in-country filing is permitted as per the I-600 instructions.
Read about additional filing options on the Form I-600 page.

Form I-600A, Application for Advance Processing of Orphan Petition Form I-600A can be filed with the Lockbox in the United States at the address given in the Form I-600A instructions. If the prospective adoptive parent is residing abroad in Jamaica or The Bahamas, Form I-600A may also be filed with the USCIS Field Office in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
More information is available at: http://www.uscis.gov/Santo-domingo

Application for Transportation Letter for a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Traveling Outside the U.S. Transportation letters for LPRs in Jamaica and Cayman Islands are issued by the U.S. Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) office in Kingston, Jamaica. Applications are accepted on an appointment basis only. Appointments can be made via email at: [email protected] Please go to http://kingston.usembassy.gov/questionnaire.html for an application. For additional information on how to obtain a Transportation Letter, please call 876-702-6000 and follow the prompts.
For LPRs in need of a transportation letter who are visiting all other areas of jurisdiction of USCIS, Kingston, please contact the US Embassy or US Consulate having jurisdiction of the location of where you are travelling.
DNA and Fingerprint Collection The U.S. Department of State will assume responsibility for DNA and fingerprint collection. Please contact the U.S. Consulate where you are located for additional information.

To find general information about the U.S. Embassy in Kingston, please visit the official website at http://kingston.usembassy.gov, or contact the Embassy via telephone, during business hours: 876-702-6000, or by mail:

Embassy of the United States of America
142 Old Hope Road
Kingston 6
Jamaica, West Indies

After March 1, 2013, individuals requiring information on USCIS services in Jamaica, Anguilla, Aruba, The Bahamas, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Curaçao, Montserrat, Turks and Caicos Islands, and Guantanamo Bay Naval Station may contact the USCIS Santo Domingo Field Office:

USCIS Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

Telephone: (809)-221-2171. If calling from the United States, please dial ”1” first
Fax: (809)-731-4350

American Embassy
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Santo Domingo
Calle Cesar Nicolas Penson
Calle Leopoldo Navarro
Unidad 5500

62 Responses to WHAT IS THIS AND WHY?-USCIS to Close its Office in Kingston, Jamaica, on March 1

Wat ???????????????

• MURASAKI says:

Essentially applications for immigrant visa to the USA will be sent to the Dominican Republic and will no longer be processed directly in Jamaica. Which possibly means a longer waiting time if you are filing for relatives in Jamaica to come over. Suh mi understand it …not sure

• 187 Dem says:

Oh boy this is no bueno….. They already take their sweet time fi process di ppl dem tings & now it’s gonna be a longer process :nohope

• No bueno is right I dnt think its or easy

• No Joke says:

Yes….been heard . But they say its only certain services they moving there. That is beyond Madness . Imagine travelling to DR to get a visa…..and there are no striaght flights….you have to go through Miami…THIS IS NOT GOOD

• No Joke says:

THAT IS RXTRA MONEY DI PPL DEM AFFI SPEN
    FEES FI IMMIGRATION
    PLANE FARE FI GO DR
    PLACE FI STAY
    TRANSPORTATION
    BUT TRUST AND BELIEVE THERE IS A MOTIVE BEHIND THIS :maho

• O.O Wat?

• Yow unnu look out fi jamaican a hitch ride with the Haitians on boat…this is crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzy

I know 1 embassy can encompass various territories/countries, so this is not unusual, however, not long ago they vigorously fought for & acquired the land in Liguanea & went on to build their embassy. Why? Is the US govt guilty of inappropriate strategic planning? Because they spent millions to build that compound, only to be shutting it down in less than a decade. It makes no sense.

• KAY says:

No mi nuh understand I’m filing for my mom so ur telling me her papers go to DR and for her interview that’s where she and my brother have to go and take her finger print and medical this a total f000ry

Most likely not Kay, cuz countries who have good relationship with each other usually have a consulate staff & an ambassador in each other’s country. But given the influx of applications to the US embassy, I really don’t know how it’s going to work.

I see no where in the above where there is a need for Jamaicans to fly to DR for Visitor’s Visa. Most I-130 applications for Relatives in Jamaica are actually made from the the US and I see the above announcement as having little or no impact on most Jamaicans. I also see no mention of the intent to close the US Embassy in Kingston. IMHO, they are just consolidating their immigration processing at one or two locations to reduce cost and efficiencies. What’s wrong with that?

• Regional Federal Benefits Officer to Visit Jamaica, Feb 20-22nd

A representative from the Regional Federal Benefits Office in Santo Domingo, will be visiting Jamaica from February 20 – 22nd. The FBU representative will host a town hall meeting in Mandeville on February 20 and in Kingston February 21. You may have your Federal Benefits issues addressed by scheduling an appointments at the Embassy on Thursday, February 21 and Friday, February 22. Since the Embassy in Kingston no longer handles Social Security issues, this is a great opportunity to have any federal benefits issues addressed. To obtain detailed information about the town hall meetings and to schedule an appointment to discuss your benefits, please email [email protected].

The U.S. Embassy in Kingston no longer has a Federal Benefits Unit.

The Federal Benefits Unit at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, provides assistance with Social Security, veterans’ benefits and other federal benefit programs to beneficiaries in Jamaica and the Cayman Islands. Services include acceptance of first-time applications for retirement and disability benefits, changes of addresses, social security number applications, assistance with non-receipt of checks and related problem solving.

When sending emails to Santo Domingo, please use “JAMAICA“ in your subject line. This will assist the Federal Benefits office in Santo Domingo to streamline your inquiries as necessary, leading to more timely responses.

To Schedule an Appointment

• good girl gone bad says:

I thought each country had their own US embassy headquarters. Thats why reading is fundamental. It does seem like it will be harder for Jamaican ppl now because it is located in a different country. More money + longer waiting time = more stress. I wonder why they are shutting it down?

• MURASAKI says:

Cindy they are not shutting down the embassy per say, it will still be there for non immigrant visa which is what I guess most Jamaicans apply for, Mi very very sorry fi all the kids that are on the filing list, ah now it aguh tek long. But why? is a good question/

• They not closing…they’re redirecting different kind of forms or DR, for processing. O.o I think

• eyecandy says:

@Cindy had no idea that it usual for other countries to file paper in ozher countys consulate,though each country had there own..

• Lol Cindy that’s what I thought too..because I know Jamaicans would reach one way or the other lol….

• Foxy Lady says:

I can’t foresee them requiring anyone to pick up or conduct an interview in a foreign country. So it’s safe to say, rule out that possibility. But as someone alluded to prior to this comment, there is more to this than what meets the eye. It will certainly mean longer processing time and maybe a reduction on the visa quota.

• fashiondoll says:

I know the US embassy will still be in Kingston so i guess is only the paperwork going to DR but the actual interview will be conducted in Kingston, JA.

Bare in mind also that there is an additional fee of US$165 effective February 2013. “If you receive your immigrant visa on or after February 1, 2013, you must pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) after you receive your immigrant visa and before you travel to the United States.” Select USCIS Immigrant Fee on the USCIS website for more information.

But it look a way knowing DR is not even an English speaking island

Yeah Candy, it happen with many embassies & high commissions, where they r based in 1 country, but covers other countries. I know my friend had to either send her application to Trinidad or some such place to go to Australia.

• good girl gone bad says:

Oh ok, thx for the correction guys! Mi read it back…so petitioners would just have to send their forms to the office in DR instead of JA? Am i reading right?

• KAY says:

A Cindy I just call them and the pussyhole dem seh all filing documents will be sent to DR all interviews will be done in the DR the woman seh she is only aware of Jamaica and one next country weh haffie go a DR suh mi ask har how that ago work out and the time process she said at the moment they are only hoping it will take just a few more months longer than usual yuh nuh see a pussy dem tek ppl fah now ppl haffie go find rassclatt plane fare fi go DR :nohope

Oh @ Murasaki. That makes sense that they’ll still be here physically. But I still don’t understand why any Jamaica application at all have to go anywhere else. I feel a rinse dem wah rinse more money outta wi, an delay wi ting cuz dem really nuh want wi deh.

• KAY says:

Met thanks fi post this cause I never hear bout this and I call my mother she said she never see it pon the news neither mi really upset all mi just want is a rass better life fi mi family but a better mi send the money buy two block and cement and build a rass shop

Kay dat very unfair

• Tory says:

Must watch vw use Jamaican accent for Super Bowl ad campaign.

• The United States (US) Embassy in Kingston has moved to assure concerned Jamaicans that it will continue processing visa applications in the island.

The announcement came yesterday as the embassy sought to address concerns raised about the decision of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to shut down its Kingston field office.

The USCIS field office in Santo Domingo will now have responsibilities for the services usually provided by the Kingston office.

The US Embassy explained that USCIS is the office that oversees all lawful immigration to the US.

It said all other sections of the US mission in Jamaica, including the Consular section that handles visa applications, will remain open.

From the Gleaner

Oh my there must be something more to this so when applying for a visa English speaking J’cans must go to non English speaking DR for interview very confused :confused:

kay mi think it really disrespectful and dem a do it because the law a go change and nothing else…

• MURASAKI says:

Cindy, something not right here , I agree. After investing so much money and resources to building that huge facility in Liguanea why would they outsource or dispatch or whatever you want to call it to Jamaican applications?

• ON A DIFFERENT NOTE: HOW COMES MI DIDN’T SEE THE MEGAN N ASHYDONIA CONGRATS POST ON BABY “KING KHALIFA*”

Oh ok thanks Ms Itzy

• eyecandy says:

Thanks Cindy :peluk
    It seems only certain forms will require prcessing in theDR?

A so dem name di baby King Khalifa very nice role model to name u child off …………. Notttttttt
    U know mi go a baby christening and di pastor say something that really resonate wit me him say going thru life sometime we wonder y nothing we touch turns to gold y things so hard on some ppl it’s like they can’t prosper the man say a di very name that u were given as a child that is curse upon you, now no get mi wrong I’m not saying this is the case here but ppl should be careful with the naming process though. Anyways congrats and Gods blessings still

• milikeit says:

US Government has to cut cost to service this huge debt. Several months from now they will close a lot of Post Offices, cut staff n basically trim the fat. Too much DEBT!! We’ll see if this has an effect on services (which I’m betting it will).

• Yea she pop that baby out on Friday : :babyboy1

• KAY says:

Met mi feel away mi nah lie cuz u have trying ppl a yard weh just want a better life and wat hurt mi there is no direct flight fr ja to dr suh u haffie go thru Miami mount a rass time dem tun dung my mother a embassy a now dem ago give her the visa so in this case how she ago leave ja to do her interview with no visa sigh this lick mi hard mi nah lie

kay is a big disrespect and dr nuh less corrupted and less violent dan ja

milikeit dem did a close post offices all mailboxes dem move u haffi a hunt fi dem and dat neva mek di news

but stamp raise doe

• Original Goodas says:

Evening family

The inteviews and all other stuff will still take place in Kingston, the application will be processed else where. As it is now Kingston is the field office (processing center) for Jamaica and a few other caribbean counties but no body from those country come to jamaica for their interviews and so forth. nothing will change.

• Original Goodas says:

its just that after your life is approved and u get the letter that say you case is now with NVC and after they get the affidavit of support, etc and everything is go. you get the letter that say you case is npw being forwarded to Kingston, that letter will now say you case is being forward to____.

• Original Goodas says:

File*******

• Bubbles says:

thanks metty cause me neva hear di news and me just call a jamaica and dem say dem neva hear it either. dats y me affi love u site, me nah lie me learn nuff things pon yah big up yourself met.

no big up the senders…3 metters sent it in…I saw it yesterday but was waiting for something today …remember if people dont send in there would be nothing to post :peluk

Kay dem really expect ppl fi guh Dom Rep??? A wah di…?? No man. Suh yuh haffi guh plan a whole trip fi dem den an all dem tings deh. Damn!

On another note, a swear, some ppl weh pass choo pan JMG fool bad enuh. lol

Mi si seh mi stalker deh bout todeh Metty. :ngakak

cindy u know a doe si mek a guh luk :maho

• England says:

mi deh yah a wait fi see wah changes England go mek…cos dem def go mek it harder fi jamaican fi come this way…

america and England a bench and batty…i dont know wah else dem go do cos it hard fi go already… demsoon seh dem nah give no visa to no jamaican…( and the reason will be..dem wah fi sort out the immigration problems)

• Jules says:

Interesting indeed since DR is not as developed as Jamaica and Santo Domingo is nothing to write home about. I wonder if it is just cheaper to do business there, or a sign of something bigger..hmmm.

• ... says:

SMH DR? lol waay more corruption than Jamaica a now papi chulo dem a go run di coke (quite ignorant of me to say but I feel so) haffi go ask bout this.

• ... says:

Jules I had said before that if you notice DR is now a leading tourist destination, something in something trust & believe.

• Brightlight says:

This is baaay f000ery and disrespect to the best island in the Caribbean.

• Jules says:

@ Dotty ongle time will tell. Memba seh di powers dat be use di countries dem as pawns pon dem chessboard when dem want push chu dem agendas. Dem know who dem waan tear dung, and who dem waan bill up pon shawt leash.

• ... says:

Of course. Also remember Haiti is a factor. Haiti is a beautiful country with alot of resources so mek wi si wah happen BUT I have my opinions (but mi nah seh nutten cause lass time mi hear seh mi a conspiracy theorist)

• milikeit says:

Met, I didn’t even realize that they started closing (Post Offices) already, so now people have to go out of their way to get simple services. Bwai, di people dem a guh really start feel di pinch fi 2013 and beyond, everything is changing rapidly. Everything is going up but services are being cut back, all because of greedy bankers. The middle class pay for the poor and the f000ery the rich people do. We need a brake but I don’t think we’ll be getting one anytime soon. At the end of the day, everything falls back on us. KMRT

• Hotstepper...formerly peeper says:

well guys I dont think it will be that long of a wait, shifting the processing to the DR, because originally they had decided to move all processing to the US of A and had stated that it would cause a much longer wait since everything would be centralized. My aunt lives in Aruba and when my cousin filed for her, she did not have to go to Jamaica for an interview, so I am assuming that it should remain the same. Lets wait and see exactly what is going on before we mek fretration kill we

• Addicted says:

I do not believe there is no conspiracy going on by them removing the field office to DR and Jamaicans having to travel there for interviews now.
    My friend lives in the Cayman Islands and she gave up her US residency ( not knowing that it is harder to give it up than to get it.lol) She had to fly to Kingston for an interview with the US government as there is no field office in the Cayman and the Kingston office was the office with jurisdiction , i would safely assume its the same way other Caribbean islands that had to travel to Kingston felt when they had to travel to JA.
    Another guess is they are moving to DR where its more cost effective and in the interim a lot of people will not be able to afford to travel to DR for appointments etc , so less Jamaicans filing to travel to the USA.

DR is the new leading tourist destination because you can get all-inclusive hotels for $59 per night…..it cheap and dirty especially santa domingo

Wi need the queen fi tek back di country if wi no have bobylon fi defend wi rights!!! A pure fool a run di country!