POLICE ARE ON IT

NEWARK — The video is barely two-and-a-half minutes long, but each second is more disturbing than the one before.

Somewhere in Newark, a teenage boy can be seen removing his clothes, stripping completely naked while he is berated and cursed at by another man in a black hat and black T-shirt. A pack of men surround their cornered victim, laughing and commenting on the situation.

As the boy stands there with his shoulders slumped, the man in the black shirt screams about a debt owed by their victim’s father. As the boy cowers, the leader of the group grabs a belt from one of his sidekicks and screams at the victim.

“Where my money at?” he howls.

“I don’t know,” the victim responds meekly.

What happens next has infuriated law enforcement and city leaders. For 90 seconds, the boy is mercilessly whipped with the belt while the group continues to laugh at him, demanding he tell the camera that it’s a “dog eat dog world.”

At the end of the video, someone announces the amount of money that sparked the vicious attack — a measly $20.

The video, which contains some disturbing images and abusive language, has attracted nearly 38,000 views on YouTube as of Monday night. Newark Police Director Samuel DeMaio said he was infuriated by the video and dispatched three separate detective squads to find the man holding the belt in the clip, which he called “sickening.”

“You don’t know how bad I want to see the kid who did that taken into custody,” he said.

Newark City Council President Anibal Ramos echoed that sentiment.

“The perpetrator as well as those who stood idly by laughing and videotaping this act of savage brutality should be brought to justice,” he said.

A screen grab from a YouTube video shows a teenager as he is being forced to strip naked . Shortly afterward, the teen is beaten repeatedly with a belt. Newark police are trying to identify the victim and the attacker.
YouTube
DeMaio said police have an idea of where the attack took place and are closing in on the assailants. Investigators are aware of a Twitter account that has been associated with publicizing the videos, according to DeMaio, who declined to comment further.

It remains unclear who the victim or assailants were, but social media has offered some insight into the Twitter account DeMaio was referring to. Dozens of furious tweets linking to the video identify someone owning the Twitter handles @440BoyRiqBubz and @RiqBubz as the person who began promoting the clip online.

The hackers collective Anonymous, an international pro free-speech group that was linked a cyber-attack on the Newark municipal website last year, also pointed the finger at that Twitter account.

DeMaio said the attackers will likely face aggravated assault and weapons charges. He said the victim of the attack appeared to be a teenager, but would not say if police contacted anyone seen in the video.

Newark Police Director Samuel DeMaio said he was “sickened” by a viral video that shows a young Newark man forced to strip naked before he was whipped by a belt over a debt of twenty dollars.
Michael Monday/The Star-Ledger
For the director, who has a young son of his own, the investigation is taking a personal turn.

“To see him stripped down naked and taken advantage of and abused like that, it was sickening to me,” DeMaio said. “I pictured somebody doing that to my son … the people that did that need to be brought to justice for sure.”

The video was also housed on WorldStarHipHop.com, a popular urban media web site that has been criticized for also hosting videos of brutal street fights, but has since been taken down. The web site was home to another clip of brutal urban violence last year when it posted a viral video of a Cleveland bus driver uppercutting a woman who allegedly attacked him.

15 Responses to POLICE ARE ON IT

• Belly Bang says:

People mek it dem social obligation to put all sort of images and videos out there. When dem implicate demselves inna f—ery and the PoPo start lick out, dem & dem dunce bat followers dem start bawl bout ‘being targetted’ and all sort ah shit.

I hope the PoPo nuh catch dem 1st. One vigilante group fi back dem up & beat dem like runaway slaves (no camera that time)

dem smart ehh fuss dem “smartly” a war fi $20 them “smartly” video and upload it set a fools.

anyway dem police yah nuh betta dem mor upset a nuh dem get fi dweet caw dem a known racists against the newark community especially di african american youths

Betta de police find em fust. If i woulda ever me ago beat dem bloodclat, tump dem bloodcloot, lass dem bloodclat, acid dem bloodclat, fire dem bloodclat, tump dem bloodclat, drag dem bloodclat, murder dem bloodclat, sodomize wit hot iron dem bloodclat, gash dem bloodclot, me did a neva vex so from a vidyo, yuh know mon? If smaddy wouoda eva to me pickney like dat me ago mad and wicked. Dem nah sey from wappy kill phillip dem woulda seh since Ben kill man wid him belt. It ago down inna histreee ferreal.

• BK says:

Dat dutty bwoy is a friggin faggot bout di bwoy fi tek off him draws, all like dem yuh fi find dem body inna alley, bout a strip di bwoy and beat him naked for $20. It just give me a slavery days flashback. These little kids rather to be treated like a slave than to get their education and be someone their parents and society can be proud of, this sad from all angle.

Best piece of news this for the day. Thank God something will be done about this. My heart bleed for the boy being beaten hopefully all will be punished for taking part in this inhumane act. Respect Met.

• Espute says:

Thank u father god for answering my prayer..I hope dem humiliate dem the same way they do to the little boy. God is good

• ace says:

And when the young yute dem buss shot inna dem you hear say dem a killa. Yute don’t let this harden your heart kid if that’s not who you are just hold you faith and stay strong kid.

• ... says:

I saw this the other night & mi sorry them animal yah need some gunshot. My son watched it & said “Mama, I’m sorry but dem woulda haffi jump me cause I not teking off nothin. I would haffi go down fighting.” When he said that to me I start fret cause if these animals can do dat inna broad daylight so no telling what they woulda do to the yute if him did fight back. AS FI DI FATHER I hope him man up an find dem & buss dem ass. Slavery is not dead. MENTAL SLAVERY is prevalent & is the worst kind.

• This is sooooo sad. Tears filled my eyes. Poor kid, it could be my son. For $20??? These shithouses need to be put away for a looooong time

ace if a did my son or bredda dere would be no police on it………… I dont play these games… fire would light and skin would roast literally

• LUNDUN says:

from i saw that video when met posted, i commented on how i wanted the police to see it and bring hose cowards to justice. indeed i am delighted to hear sumthing is being done.

i was soooo sick watching dem abuse that poor boy. him having to go through all that pain infront of everyone. him fadda a goodly one crackhead weh mek him pickney suffa for his crack debt.

• Espute says:

The f000er dem get catch.Three of dem was arrested.I’m so happy..

• mix and blend says:

This bring tears to my eyes,I have 2 teenage sons,and ho god if it was one of them.The man fi go prison fi life.I feel it for the little boy.

mixandblend dem seh di father move outa di area but mi seh if a me……God know

• They just showed on the Fox 29 news that the police have the 3 fools that humiliated the young man, in custody. They also said that the fools have ties to some gang. The New Jersey mayor was outraged over the video.