WHAT IS YOUR TAKE?

les-Optimized

FORMER Assistant Commissioner of Police detective Les Green has painted a hellish picture of his eight-year tour of duty in Jamaica with a job he said was a “tremendous strain”.
In a story in yesterday’s edition of British newspaper the Mirror, Green told of a place where life is cheap, guns rule and drugs are rife. He also spoke of a level of violence that took some getting used to, even though he had a background investigating shootings in London’s Jamaican community as part of Scotland Yard’s Operation Trident team.
British detective Les Green was seconded to Jamaica to help improve the constabulary force’s investigative capacity.
1/1
Green, who arrived in Jamaica in 2004, was one of three officers from the United Kingdom brought in to serve in the Jamaica Constabulary Force. What should have been a stay of several months turned into years and a promotion to Acting Commissioner of Police. While here, he set up the now disbanded Operation Kingfish. He also set up the Serious and Organised Crime Branch — which encompasses the Major Investigation Task Force and the Fraud Squad — while working with the Criminal Investigation Branch.
“I arrived in October and it was very pleasant weather, warm and sunny. Arriving at Kingston, down by the waterfront, it looks very pleasant, Jamaica is a beautiful island and there are fantastic people there, but what I found pretty quickly was while most people can go about their lives comfortably and happily, there are a cluster of places where violence is likely to break out at any moment. The main problem is drugs, and it is drugs which allow access to easy money which is then spent on weapons,” he told the UK paper.
According to him, “unlike the UK, the answer to conflict is very quickly violence and extreme violence. There were occasions when there were several murders in one attack. Once we had 13 different firearms used in one attack on a house,” he is reported to have said.
Green said while Jamaica shows signs of progress on the surface it is overshadowed by a seamy underside.
“When you start to look at the more deprived areas, you see a very different Jamaica from the postcards. A lot of the houses look like shacks and are of wooden construction with corrugated iron roofs.They are very close together with tight alleyways which are ideal for ambushing police officers when they are looking for criminals,” he said.
He, however, conceded that on the whole, the West Indian people were very welcoming and were often concerned for his safety.
“People are very aware about how important tourism is and keep their eyes out for you. I actually had a lot of problems going to crime scenes because they thought I was a tourist and they would literally stand in front of my car trying to stop me going into these areas,” he is reported to have said.
In the Mirror article, the forensic capabilities of the force and its members also came in for harsh criticism.
“When I started as a 16-year-old cadet, the police radio was about the limit of the technology. Then I witnessed a real revolution with computers and forensic science. In Jamaica, it was like stepping back in time. When I first went there the forensic capability was very poor and ineffective,” Green told the media entity.
“There it still takes up to two years to get DNA results, unlike in the UK where you can get them in two days. In Jamaica, there is nothing like the sense of urgency I had in the UK where I would send someone out to take a statement and they would do it immediately. Here I could send someone out for weeks on end and eventually they would come back with a statement,” he added.
“If a pretty girl walks past they will look at the pretty girl instead of what they are doing. There is always tomorrow, always another time to do something. There’s always a drink or a pretty woman to distract them,” he said.
“It would take an age to get any official documentation because everything is paper and you physically have to go and collect the paperwork. It was frustrating, painstaking and you have to have a very methodical mind to manage that process especially dealing with 1,600 murders a year,” Green reportedly said.
Other challenges to which the cop made reference were the tropical climate and the Jamaican patois. His complexion, however, was a plus.
“It played to my advantage being white skinned because the people trusted white- skinned people much more than they would trust a black officer,” he shared.
According to Green the job which he said good-bye to in 2012 is not one he misses.
“Most people’s view is Jamaica is somewhere you go and enjoy the sun and the beach and sit around drinking rum, but it is not all like that. It was a tremendous strain over the eight years,” he said.
Green’s utterances to the Mirror are in stark contrast to his statements to the Jamaica Observer before he left the island in July last year. Then, the former Assistant Commissioner said he was won over by the island’s beauty and the warmth of its people towards him.
“Jamaica is a wonderful place with wonderful people. Wherever I have gone I have enjoyed it,” he told the Observer.
At the time, he said he had his sights set on coming back to Jamaica to assist with further training in law enforcement.
“I will definitely be coming back to assist in whatever way I can,” Green said then.
“I had very good relationships with my colleagues. I will be very sad to say good-bye,” he added.
When the Observer contacted the JCF’s director of communication Karl Angell yesterday he said he was unaware of the contents of the Mirror article.
“We have not seen it as yet. We will have to look at it and assess it, but there is no certainty that a statement will be made (regarding the report)”, he told the Observer.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/-It-was-like-stepping-back-in-time-_13555614#ixzz2Jw1q73Ab

26 Responses to WHAT IS YOUR TAKE?

• LUNDUN says:

TYPICAL BRITISH BEHAVIOUR, I AM NOT SUPRISED!!

HYPOCRITES THEY ARE, EVEN THE BLACK ONES.

I DEAL WITH THESE CUNTS ON A DAILY BASIS AND LAUGH AT HOW OBVIOUS THEY ARE WITH THEIR HYPOCRISY, WHILE THEY THINK THEY ARE CLEVERLY FOOLING YOU.

MR. GREEN SHOULD HAVE JUST TOLD HIS REAL FEELINGS FROM THE BEGINNING AND NOT BE TWO FACED.

I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH HIS ANALYSIS OF CRIME FIGHTING IN JAMAICA, WHAT I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IS HIS TWO FACED HYPOCRITE SELF.

SUCK UR MOTHER MR. LES GREEN
    WITH LUV AND LOTS OF KISSES

lundun u know i dont have a problem with what he says…it is the truth a hope dem use dis wisely

• South London says:

I agree with this man

• Hotstepper...formerly peeper says:

I so agree with what Mr. Green has to say, Jamaica is slow and backward in a lot of things that they do, they need to step up to the time, but then again with how you have so much corupt police officers, will it ever truly make a difference?

The truth & nothing but the truth Met. From the part about them being easily distracted by women & liquor to the ridiculous nature of our forensic practices, or lack thereof. We do not even have dna legislation at the moment, which means dna is not legally admissible in court & any criminal with a half way decent lawyer will be able to use this defect & get away with crimes. Given all the money we have been granted by multilateral agencies & borrowed up to our eyeballs we should have infrastructures & systems that actually works. Him naw seh nutten weh nuh guh suh.

• LUNDUN says:

MET I DON’T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WHAT HE IS SAYING I AGREE WITH WHAT HE IS SAYING.

WHAT I AM SAYING IS HE WAS BROUGHT TO JAMAICA TO HELP US WITH OUR CRIME PROBLEMS AND I’M SURE THE PROBLEMS HIGHLIGHTED ABOVE ARE PROBLEMS HE HAS MADE KNOWN TO THE POLICE COMMISSIONER AND THE GOVERNMENT (ATLEAST I HOPE HE HAS).

I ALSO HOPE THAT HE WORDED THE ANALYSIS THAT HE GAVE THE GOVERNMENT AS STRONGLY AS HIS INTERVIEW WAS.

WHAT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IS HIS TWO FACED APPROACH. TELLING OR APPEARING ONE WAY TO THE JAMAICAN MEDIA OR POLICE OR GOVERNMENT, THEN SAYING SOMETHING ELSE TO THE UK MEDIA.
    THAT’S NOT HOW YOU HELP A SITUATION OR GET THE PROPER REACTION NEEDED TO PROVOKE A SERIOUS CHANGE.

• nevertoolate says:

I agree with his assessment of the Jamaica Police force. Now maybe this will bring some change to their system of corruption due to the attention Mr Green statement is recieving.

Lundun I am sure he did, he defended Jamaica with the gay thing so I highly doubt that he would put us down..

• LUNDUN says:

MET DEM AVE DEM ULTERIOR MOTIVES WHY DEM REALLY BIG UP JAMAICA WID DI GAY TING, ITS NOT FOR THE REASON U ALL MIGHT THINK.

SO MET ARE U SAYING THAT U ARE QUESTIONING THE ABOVE ANALYSIS OF MR. GREEN’S INTERVIEW?

Lundun no , I am saying that he has been honest. I don’t think there was any ulterior motive with the gay thing, he said Jamaica is not homophobic we are just not into public displays of affection and that gays kill gays…I am saying that I dont see where he has any ulterior motives..the truth may not be so nice but it is the truth

• him leave out de part weh dem pull over female drivers fi ask fi phone numbers and pull over male drivers fi beg lunch money if dem a drive what appears to be a “hype vehicle”..corrupt and incompetent bunch

• LUNDUN says:

MET MAYBE I’M NOT SEAKING CLEARLY ENOUGH, LET ME TRY AGAIN.

I AM NOT SAYING HE IS NOT BEING HONEST WITH HIS ASSESMENT OF CRIME IN JAMAICA. I AM NOT SAYING HE IS NOT BEING HONEST ABOUT OUR POLICE FORCE AND THE PRIMITIVE PROCEDURES THEY EMPLOY, OR THEIR LAX, LAID BACK APPROACH TO FIGHTING CRIME.

I AM ALSO NOT SAYING HE WASN’T BEING HONEST ABOUT THE GAY SHITUATION IN JAMAICA EITHER.
    HE DID NOT BERATE US JAMAICANS OR THE SOCIETY OR THE POLICE FORCE. HE SPOKE TRUTH, A TRUTH THAT WE ALREADY KNEW ABOUT AND ITS ABOUT TIME SOMETHING IS DONE TO REMEDY THESE PROBLEMS.

I AM JUST SAYING, IF THE ANALYSIS OF HIS “INTERVIEW” ABOVE IS RIGHT OR TRUE, THEN I FEEL SUM WHAT DISAPPOINTED IN HIM. THIS IS BECAUSE HE SEEMS TO HAVE TOLD THE JAMAICAN MEDIA ONE THING, (I AM TALKING ABOUT WHETHER HE WOULD DO THE JOB AGAIN AND DID HE ENJOY THE CHALLENGES HE FACED AND SO ON) AND THEN TOLD THE UK MEDIA ANOTHER.

I’M JUST SAYING HIS TWO MOUTH, IS NOT A SURPRISE TO ME BECAUSE THATS HOW MOST OF THEM ARE.

• With a University and all them top notch HighSchool and Technical schools I would like to know why there is no laws for DNA admittance in court and why they don’t even have a LAB for such analysis. We the Jamaican people need to ask the Government down deh fi sum answers cuz dis don’t even sound right inna dem yah times when technology is so prevalent. SO much big dis and big dat down deh and the tings most needed no deh deh, dem shoulda did build the Lab and change the Law before dem build Highway and Bus depot up ah HalfwayTree……Only in Jamaica…

I agree with Lundun. Is this the same Les Green that quickly aligned himself with certain tainted Politician (James Robertson) and allow said Politician to disrespect/berate his own Police Officers? Who did the “Politician” called, when he left the safety of his home in Kingston to rescue the criminal, Ramesh Simpson, in St. Thomas. The same murderer who was before the courts for multiple murders and other rape crimes. The same thug who beats the charge when the key witness was murdered. Did Les Green accompany the Politician when he chose to intervene in an active Police Opeartion when they had Ramesh Simpson cornered and was about to extinguish his light? Was he there when the MP/Minister of Energy berated the police and snatch the criminal and drove him to the Hospital, when the criminal call him for assistance?

Is this the same Les Green who claim that he receive no complaints about Olint/Cash Plus, when he in fact had hundreds of such claims? It seem to me he learn the Jamaican way of Policing very quickly. I agree that he is indeed a hyprocrite and for many other reasons……..

• South London says:

@ Lundun wtf are you talking about? UK cops are much more approachable and diligent when it comes to crime fighting and solving cases within a short time frame.
    Jamaica cops are lazy and idle, there is no way on God’s green earth, UK cops can be allowed to shoot and kill a person every damn week and come with the same old line .45 guns was found next to the body. NO f000ING WAY will that happen, they take shit like this very serious, commissioners and high ranking cops would have to step down…unlike that incompetent commissioner (money is keeping him right thurr)

I salute you Mr Green for telling it how it is and that’s the truth….so Lundun stop fronting and chatting a bag shit about the English cops, cause there are waaaayyyy better then those dumbo’s in Jamaica.

• Riches says:

GM Met and Metters, Lundun he may have avoided bashing us when he gave the Observer interview for obvious reasons, whilst it may be perceived as being two-faced, he would not want to come outright and talk abt the ills with our justice system while he was here, on d oda hand, he is undoubtedly telling the truth and may feel more comfortable doing so for the UK Mirror, that’s my assessment, any which way wi way backwards as a nation and that’s y until we get a overhaul- justice modernisation of d entire system crime wnt curtail

Hmmm, we don’t have DNA capabilities, yet the Don from Matthews Lane, Zeeks, was put away for life, mainly on DNA evidence. I wonder how that was accomplished? The word on the streets was his sperm was found in the throat of one of the people that was murdered……hmmmm…..

• kerri says:

speak the truth shame the devil…. Unfortunately in Jamaica we like to hide things and ignore some terrible things here. We have to talk the things for things to change, its been going on too long . Jamaica could be a great country but we were screwed by politicians in the 60’s and 70’s and 80’s and we are paying for it. Its the 21st century Jamaicans at home and abroad need to demand and work for change . Young Jamaicans are savvy and smart and they need a change

• G says:

@south london i believe what lundun was trying to say is that british police are very 2 faced which as we all know is a very common trait in the british.

• LUNDUN says:

@ SOUTH LONDON, U FIT THE TYPICAL BRITISH MODEL, TALK OUT YOUR ASS AND LOOK FOOLISH BECAUSE YOU EITHER DID NOT READ PROPERLY OR YOU QUICKLY GLOSSED OVER THE TEXT AND SO DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU READ.

AT NO POINT DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT BRITISH POLICE, AT NO TIME DID I SAY WHAT THIS MAN SAID WERE LIES. AT NO TIME DID I SAY HIS ASSESSMENT OF THE WAY CRIME IS HANDLED BY THE JAMAICAN POLICE WAS WRONG.

I HAVE SAID IT IN MY PREVIOUS COMMENTS COUNTLESS TIMES, I AM JUST SAYING I DON’T LIKE THEY WAY HE SAID ONE THING TO THE JAMAICAN MEDIA AND THEN SAID SUMTHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TO THE UK MEDIA.

DO YOU GET IT NOW @SOUTH LONDON?

READING WITH UNDERSTANDING IS SOMETHING LACKING WITH SOME PPL ON HERE.

• Quiet Storm says:

@Lundun. I understand exactly what u r saying. While he did raise some valid points and spoke the truth about the overall crime and police force in Jamaica, he was being what I find most whites to be……a hypocrite.

I have been on the receiving end and have observed them, and trust mi, dem ppl deh dangerous. They laugh in front yuh face an di minute yuh back tun, is a diffrant story completely. Dem two mouthed bad, all to dem own dem dweet (well whey me si anyway), so is like dem juss cannat help demself. Mi used to wonder if ah cawse dem fraid ah wi why dem smile up wid wi an den kill wi behine wi back, but only dem alone can ansa dat.

The powers that be need to find a solution for the problems that are being faced cause in this day and age whey everything is on paper and not computerized, that is extremely ridiculous. And the part about the lazy and laid back police officers, is no joke. Mi know that first hand

• Quiet Storm says:

Figget mi mannaz
    Good Afternoon Met and Metters

• South London says:

@ Lundun, that’s exactly what I did glossed over your 1st stoopid comment.
    Fortunately for me, I don’t have to deal with these cunts on a daily basis, I have no cause to deal with police. I wonder if your brave enough to tell these cunts they are hypocrites or do you just plod along making them coffees and smiling up in there face and laughing at there stupid office jokes, caps lock writing hypocrite, practice what you preach!
    Les Green is a hypocrite and so what!!! he still letting the Jamaica cops know they are shit at there jobs…now shooo :f000:

• LUNDUN says:

@SOUTH LONDON, U SOUND REALLY ANGRY, DID I HIT A NERVE BOO???

ARE U ONE……NO LET ME REPHRASE THAT…U ARE ONE OF THOSE “PLOD” ALONG DAILY LIKE A ZOMBIE AROUND LONDON NOT READING THE PPL AROUND YOU.

MAYBE U CAN’T READ THEM BECAUSE U ARE AFTER ALL LOOKING AT A MIRRORED IMAGE OF URSELF/PERSONALITY WHEN YOU SPEAK TO A FELLOW BRIT.

I KNOW IT’S HARD TO SWALLOW, BUT ME TELLING U THE TRUTH ABOUT URSELF IS ONLY SHOWING U SOMETHING U MIGHT NOT HAVE REALISED OR U KNOW BUT REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE.

AND NO SOUTH LONDON HUN, I DON’T LAUGH AT UR JOKES, I LAUGH AT HOW FAKE U f000S ARE AND AT HOW SMART U THINK U R WHEN UR LIKE A WINDOW, I CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH U.

ANYWAYS I’VE WASTED ENOUGH TIME ON U FOR ONE DAY, U LACK REASONABILITY SO ME ARGUING WITH U ONLY MAKES ME LOOK AS DUMB AS U R.

AND F.Y.I @SOUTH LONDON, I AIN’T SCARED OF NO BOBBY AND DON’T ACT LIKE A SCARED p—- LIKE U DO WHEN I DEAL WITH THEM. THEIR HARMLESS

I TYPE IN ALL CAPS CUZ I CAN U FEEL ME!

• LUNDUN says:

@ QS AND G

I KNOW THE PPL ON HERE THAT DIDN’T GET EXCLUDED FROM SCHOOL AND SO LACK WHAT AN UNDERSTANDING IS WOULD GET WHAT I’M TRYING TO SAY.

SUM OF THESE FOLKS ARE LIKE COW SHIT, THICK AS F000.

• Regula says:

Les Green is just talking a lot of recycled crap and some of it makes no sense. Attributing most of the murders to drugs is outright wrong and this f000ing argument can only used in the UK and became redundant some time ago. We have a massive problem with crime, especially murders, but to hear him dismiss it as just drug related is offensive, because it is much more complex than that and it makes me wonder if he just said it because he couldn’t be bothered to give an indepth response or he himself was just too busy topping up his tan and drinking rum while admiring the local beauty, to truly try and understand the problems Jamaican police face directly related to values and attitudes of certain sectors towards crime and not just lack of resources/training. @Lundun he is a hypocrite fi true, There is so much corruption in the British Police but they would never openly criticise their ranks. Him need fi come home, Top Police positions in the UK are now being outsourced to foreign applicants, much to the chagrin of the local bobbies, maybe he can change the government’s mind by convincing them that the British are the best.