Monthly Archives: August 2012

Page 4 of 65« First...23456...1015202530...Last »
This post is based on an email that was sent and in no way reflects the views and opinions of ''Met'' or Jamaicangroupiemet.com. To send in a story send your email to [email protected]

MORE THAN SLACKNESS

This Is Slackness’ – 14-Y-O On Murder Charge Gives Birth

Anastasia Cunningham, News Coordinator

A 14-year-old girl before the courts on a murder charge gave birth yesterday, raising concerns in her community about whether she was being properly monitored by the state.

The teen is charged with the murder of 21-year-old Chrissann Wilson, better known as ‘Angel’, in July pf last year. Wilson was two months pregnant.

When The Gleaner visited her community in Southside, central Kingston, upset residents were in a heated discussion about the matter and called for the Child Development Agency (CDA) to get involved.

“This is slackness! Dem must coulda check her out an mek sure she under control!” one irate woman declared.

“This need a investigation. Mi waan know wah CDA doing ’bout it and how dem allow it fi happen. Imagine, she pregnant while she a guh court and you a tell me nobody neva know?” a neighbour of the teen added.

The teen reportedly returned to her community after she was released on bail. According to the residents, she was in a relationship with an adult male, who is said to be the father of her child.

Last year, the teen reportedly had an ongoing dispute with Wilson, who is also from the community. On the evening of Thursday, July 21, 2011, the two were on Tower Street in central Kingston when an argument developed. The teen, 13 at the time, reportedly stabbed Wilson in the neck.

Wilson later died at the Kingston Public Hospital while undergoing treatment. The teen fled the area, but was later arrested and charged along with her mother, who the police believe sought to cover up the murder.

MOTHER ALSO CHARGED

The teen was charged with murder, while her mother, a 37-year-old hairdresser, was charged with conspiracy to murder and accessory after the fact.

The teen was released on bail in her father’s custody. However, in January, she was rearrested and brought before the Corporate Area Resident Magistrate’s Court following a fight with another girl in which she bit off a piece of the girl’s ear.

Her bail was extended after her father told the court that he was willing to stand surety.

The murder case is ongoing.

Ricardo Sandcroft, an attorney-at-law who specialises in child rights and family law matters, said when the teen was brought before the courts the judge should have looked at her situation, not only for the crime but as a child needing the intervention of the Child Care and Protection Act, and invoked the involvement of the CDA.

“Without the court getting the CDA involved, it would be unfair to say they should have been supervising her actions and whereabouts because it doesn’t appear that they were brought in at all,” Sandcroft toldThe Gleaner.

He said what needs to happen now is that the teen and her father should be brought before the court, and the father answer to her circumstance since she was placed in his custody. The teen, he said, should also be placed in state care under the Child Care and Protection Act.

FATHER COULD BE IN TROUBLE

“When she was given bail, there would have been certain bail conditions under the Bail Act that her father should have adhered to,” he said.

He added that the father of her child should be charged with carnal abuse.

According to retired Justice Henderson Downer, acting children’s advocate, once she was placed in the custody of the father, he would have been legally responsible for her.

Downer added that the state would have only got involved if she was appointed a legal aid.

The Gleaner sought a reaction from the CDA but there was no response to an email request.

[email protected]

NOT YOUR MAN YOUNG MISS

DWFLL METTTT!!! DI GYAL DEM STILL A WAR OVA DI PEOPLE DEM MAN!!! Met dem twin yah and di gyal name krishna nuh stop war ova dead hood lex flexx dwfl dem gyal yah need sumthin new inna dem life man cho! coming like seh when di gyal krishna see seh di twins dem ago deh a di event she seh she nah badda guh lmaooo a wah dis man? & di twin dem not even fart pon har! lol yung girls, get it togetherrr asap!

Photo
 · · Share
 

MISS ZIMBABWE HAD TO BE HER OWN SPONSOR

The Standard|Reigning Miss Zimbabwe Bongani Dlakama’s stay in China at the Miss World finals was a nightmare that she quickly wants to forget.

Besides going to the international contest without any grooming, the Miss Zimbabwe Trust sent her abroad with an empty purse.

She said she had to use her prize money for accommodation in Beijing where she spent a night before going to Mongolia.

She had to purchase a lot of other goods that were required for the event from her own purse.

“I had to buy my own dress for the final because a designer engaged by Miss Zimbabwe Trust told me just two days before I left for China that she had not been paid and had not made the dress,” lamented Dlakama.

“I bought the dress for about US$1 500 in South Africa and I spent US$500 on portraits of the Victoria Falls and the flame lily national flower that I had to take to the final for my national identity. There were many other requirements that I had to finance on my own.

“On my return I had to pay over US$800 for luggage and I think my total expenditure could exceed US$5 000 (half of the prize money she got for being crowned Miss Zimbabwe).”

Besides the financial stress, Dlakama said she felt very low in camp as she realised the higher level of preparedness of other models compared to her.

“The competition was intense and there was no way that I could have done well. It is not like I am giving an excuse for my failure but people have to know that what we do in the name of preparation for such a stage is nothing close to what is required.

“I had just two months to prepare in which there was no significant grooming that was done.”

Dlakama said she failed the Beauty with a purpose contest because she had no video footage of her cancer project that was mandatory.

“When I wanted to film the project before leaving for Miss World the Trust had no money to hire cameras and I could not do it myself because it was too expensive.

“It was embarrassing to hear other models saying they actually had choreographers training them three months before the contest when I failed to do dance lessons that cost just US$15.

“I really felt so low and I have to say it is time organisers become more serious about the pageant.”

She said organisers have to be more serious and pledged to assist the next national queen as much as she can.

She also bemoaned the fact that the licence holder for Miss Zimbabwe pageant, Cliff Sachikonye is not directly involved in the production of the pageant.

“Sachikonye is the United Kingdom while the pageant is going through such tough times. Even now as I am going back to Bulawayo the Trust cannot afford a mere bus ticket and that should say a lot,” said Dlakama.

The model arrived in the country on Tuesday on a low key after her failure to impress in China where she came back empty- handed.

She however said her stay in China was enlightening and had a great experience in the Asian country.

Kiki Divaris, patron of Miss Zimbabwe Trust last week said everyone knows the challenges that they faced and they should be grateful that Dlakama even managed to travel to China.

“There is a lot that has been happening, everyone knows that,” said Divaris.

“We were lucky to manage the holding of the pageant in the first place and she was lucky she travelled so I think that she failed to impress in China should not be an issue.”

Related articles:

JAMAICA IN IT AGAIN!

LADIES RIDE OR RUN

MALDIVES IN ACTION

Maldives opposition protest ahead of ‘coup’ report

Police have said they will not allow any unrest
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Timeline: The Maldives
Maldives ‘will go to the dogs’ Watch
Maldives leader in ‘quit’ pledge
Supporters of ex-Maldivian President Mohamed Nasheed have held rallies in the capital, Male, ahead of the release of a report into this year’s transfer of power.

The report is set to rule on whether Mr Nasheed was forced from power in February in a coup, as he has alleged.

Earlier, Mr Nasheed’s sole representative quit the panel, saying the results were biased and incomplete.

Security has been beefed up and police have called for calm.

Eyewitnesses said several hundred people demonstrated on Wednesday evening in support of Mr Nasheed, after the former president called on them to take to the streets.

Mr Nasheed, the country’s first democratic president, claims he was forced to quit in February under duress after soldiers and police mutinied in the capital, Male.

But his successor, Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik, who had been serving as his vice-president, insists that Mr Nasheed left of his own accord after opposition-led protests.

‘Missing evidence’
The BBC’s Charles Haviland, in neighbouring Sri Lanka, says both forecast that the report will declare there was no coup – which would satisfy President Waheed and dismay Mr Nasheed.

“If the commission says it’s not a coup, then it’ll be big shock to all Maldivians. Nobody is going to believe it,” Hamid Abdul Gafoor, a spokesman for Mr Nasheed’s Maldivian Democratic Party, told Reuters.

In dramatic resignation earlier, Ahmed “Gahaa” Saeed, Mr Nasheed’s nominee on the Commonwealth-backed inquiry, said the report was missing some key testimonies and photo, audio and video evidence.

Police have said they will not allow any unrest and have been carrying out searches on people on the streets and those arriving on boats to Male, according to local media.

The situation not just in Male but in other parts of the Maldives, too, is tense, our correspondent says.

Mr Nasheed, a reformist who spent years in jail or under house arrest, came to power in 2008 after beating long-time President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom in the country’s first ever polls.

WTF AFRICA- HUNTER COMES HOME TO FIND HIS WIFE IS GAME

Ipetu-Ijesa, Osun State, was struck with tragedy when a hunter, Igere Segun, who caught his friend and his wife making love in his bedroom and killed the wife. It was learnt that Segun raged at the sight of the two lovers in his bedroom, got hold of an iron and aimed a strike at the head of his friend. The friend, however, dodged as the iron hits his wife, Aina, on the head.

The friend immediately bolted from the room while the wife, who was bleeding profusely, was rushed to Olujobi Hospital in Ikeji Arakeji, where she died on the third day.
Commissioner of Police, Osun State Command, Mrs. Kalafite Adeyemi, confirmed the incident, saying the police were on the trail of Segun’s friend, whose name he gave as Abiodun. According to the commissioner, “The incident happened last Thursday in Ipetu-Ijesa. It occurred between 10:50pm and 11pm. The husband had gone out, but unexpectedly came back late in the night.

“Ostensibly, he caught them red-handed and in an attempt to hit the man with an iron rod, he hit the wife, who was rushed to Olujobi Hospital in Ikeji Arakeji… She died the third day. The man is in custody while we are on the trail of the runaway lover. The case is being investigated.”

DISCLAIMER The views or opinions appearing on this blog are solely those of their respective authors. In no way do such posts represent the views, opinions or beliefs of “Met,” or jamaicangroupiemet.com. “Met” and jamaicangroupiemet.com will not assume liability for the opinions or statements, nor the accuracy of such statements, posted by users utilizing this blog to express themselves. Users are advised that false statements which are defamatory in nature may be subject to legal action, for which the user posting such statements will be personally liable for any damages or other liability, of any nature, arising out of the posting of such statements. Comments submitted to this blog may be edited to meet our format and space requirements. We also reserve the right to edit vulgar language and/or comments involving topics we may deem inappropriate for this web site.

****RULES**** 1. Debates and rebuttals are allowed but disrespectful curse-outs will prompt immediate BAN 2. Children are never to be discussed in a negative way 3. Personal information  eg. workplace, status, home address are never to be posted in comments. 4. All are welcome but please exercise discretion when posting your comments , do not say anything about someone you wouldnt like to be said about  you. 5. Do not deliberately LIE on someone here or send in any information based on your own personal vendetta. 6. If your picture was taken from a prio site eg. fimiyaad etc and posted on JMG, you cannot request its removal. 7. If you dont like this forum, please do not whine and wear us out, do yourself the favor of closing the screen- Thanks! . To send in a story send your email to :- [email protected]

Page 4 of 65« First...23456...1015202530...Last »