PRETTY DARK

Pretty Dark

I have pretty toes and pretty feet
I have pretty skin and pretty teeth
To my self I am sweet
But when I walk down the street
The calls go out to the brown girl beside me
Quarter white, half Chinese so that makes her elite

What about me? Am I not of royalty?
Descendant of queens, daughter of kings
My skin might be dark, but I am worthy
To change my complexion is not an option
So when I see you from a distance
I remind my self that I am whole not a fraction

Written by lking
[ABM id=”3901817531″ width=”250″ height=”250″]
[ABM id=”539722042″ width=”250″ height=”250″]

33 Responses to PRETTY DARK

• kia NUNYABIZNIZ bubblez says:

mi love it nd alex pic!!! pretty dark yup :2thumbup

• Kitty aka Charm says:

I remember when I was younger I wished I had darker complexion, I love me some dark skin, right now I cannot comprehend why people wanna bleach

• Real says:

mi love di pictcha it madd

• so beautiful

• Luv da message!!!!!!!!!! And the lady in the pic her skin is flawless reminds me of an old pic of my grandmother.

• Uno still Deh Pon KARTEL !!!!!!
    :siul

MET …I Don’t Even have to ask …

Ms. Real … another nice poem…

bigman this poem dont have a thing fi do wid kartel. it was about the observer article whey it seh people a bleach kartel neva mentioned ina it

• dog says:

The blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice, the most expencive pearl ,(THE BLACK PEARL). Oh soooooooo beautifull ,skin as smooth as olive oil,and show no blemishes,black woman in all her glory many great kings have fallen head over heals because of her beauty, king solomon was struck by her beauty and mark anthony gave up the roman empire when he entered egyph to conquor it ,the beauty of cleopatra made his heart melt, I love thee black woman, mother of allllllll creation,

• ProblemChyle says:

It’s funny how in 2011, colour is still the hot topic that it is …. and that black people still have a difficulty in finding all shades of blackness beautiful!!!

• dog says:

@problemchyle, We were thaught. That anything black is no good, the paintings of the church always potray the devil as being black, with a white saint always standing over the black devil,then there is the saying about blck cats wats the difference between the white cat. And the black cat, and they todl us black magic is evil ,everything. Black is label bad, but we know the truth black is beautifull, king solomon himself said don’t look upon me because I am black

• Met .. I was being bad .. I know that … !!! ,, But A Ms Real Write it Don’t It ????…

• sp says:

Beautiful,beautiful I wouldn’t change my skin colour for the world..thank god for my beautiful maroon parents for teaching me self love from a tender age love them dearly:-)

yes bigman a she write it yes u too bad

• sp says:

@dog so true I remember this pastor preach that when you ask for a devil cake is black,but when you ask for a angel cake is white I will never forget that.

• simplicity says:

Love it plus dis african model she is so beautiful

• She love herself some white men though! Alek is following in Naomi Campbell’s footsteps.

• I always wanted to be darker too. I watch a documentry earlier this week where black models have such a hard time getting jobs because of the color of their sick. One of the agents said that if you look black there is a chance u wont get the job. Being black to them meaning full lips, big eyes, big nose, “nappy hair” and wide hips. But if u r black and have white features like narrow nose, thin lips and pretty much no hips, you will get the job. I dont understand why being black in the model industry is not a good thing. We should always embrace our features and love the color of our skin and put the bleaching cream away because irregarless of bleaching ur skin, you are still black and more than likely wont be accepted by everyone.

• I love it! My daughter has beautiful dark skin,nice white teeth,& a beautiful smile.I remind her everyday that she is beautiful & her color is nice,everybody says I should put her modeling beacause of her looks.I have to teach her that she should love herself & skin no matter what.

• When I saw Alek Wek first come on the scene I was very happy & shocked to see that the agency would open up & have a really dark skin model,(no hating)I am dark skin myself & looooove it!

• dog says:

A from the plantation days dem start segregate black by the shade of there blackness ,the half white or brown skin slave think them betta dan the black skin ones,but although the brown skin ones were closer to backrah massah,they were still slaves, and under the willy Lynch ideaolgy they started treating there black brothers wrongfully, but we as strong black men love our black women from the past to the present,bigg up Nanny, harriett tubman, proud black women ,Rosa Parks , we have paid in blood for the colour of this skin,my foreparents did 400 hunred years of slavery for this skin colour, our great history taken from us ,we now see the complexion of the slave master skin as being holy but bleach ours,

I REMEMBER THE ACTING EDITOR OF VOGUE ONCE SAID THAT THEY WERE NOT READY FOR ALEK WEK’S BEAUTY.I THINK HER SKIN TONE IS AMAZING.

beautiful…black and beautiful..

• bev hailing jmg big brother matter of a horn says:

black is beautiful

• eyecandy says:

I am dark abut comely .. Solomon

• bring it says:

Black and proud me n my sister went to jamaica a few yrs back and we stoped at kfc in cross roads and while we were inside a group of police men came in they wanted to know where we were from, n wanted to buys us lunch them say a long time mi nuh see 2 black woman so pretty n black n cool and we nah bleach every where we went it was the same thing wat a way them 2 black woman yah pretty n nah bleach, its a damn shame how mentally jamaicans have fallen right back into metal slavery

• SWEET says:

Nina simone

My skin is black
    My arms are long
    My hair is wooly
    My back is strong
    Strong enough to take the pain
    It’s been inflicted again and again
    What do they call me
    My name is aunt sarah
    My name is aunt sarah

My skin is yellow
    My hair is long
    Between two worlds
    I do belong
    My father was rich and white
    He forced my mother late one night
    What do they call me
    My name is siffronia
    My name is siffronia

My skin is tan
    My hair’s alright, it’s fine
    My hips invite you
    And my lips are like wine
    Whose little girl am i?
    Well yours if you have some money to buy
    What do they call me
    My name is sweet thing
    My name is sweet thing

My skin is brown
    And my manner is tough
    I’ll kill the first mother I see
    Cos my life has been too rough
    I’m awfully bitter these days
    Because my parents were slaves
    What do they call me
    My
    Name
    Is
    Peaches

• drea says:

thank you Met this is beautiful i love it love the poem it so real so true
    @ sweet this is so so sweet self love is a must

• nickwahful says:

BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL ALWAYS HAVE BEEN,ALWAYS WILL BE. ONE SHOULD BE COMFORTABLE WITH THEIR COMPLEXION AND IN THEIR OWN SKIN. IF U DO NOT LOVE UR SELF HOW THE HELL U EXPECT SOMEONE ELSE TO LOVE U,JUST AS HOW U PUT UP A FRONT AND MASK UR SELF BEHIND THE BLEACHING IT IS THE SAME WAY ONES AND ONES OUT THEIR PRETEND WHEN AROUND U. LOVE UR SELF THE ALMIGHTY SURELY LOVES U THE WAY U ARE, HAVE A BLESSED DAY.

Real write it:)

• BLACK IS SO BEAUTIFUL! WELL SAID WRITER :hotrit

• Nay says:

Thanks for posting this Met, it makes my heart smile with pride.

• dog says:

Our beautifull Black Women have been through years of struggle,to reach where they are at now , they were once great women ,Great queens in africa. That had great armys of blackmen in support of their queens, then they were taken into slavery ,their children sold to different. Plantation torn apart to be sold for profit, O black women we love thee”. Then the deadly blow was given to the minds of the black woman, they made her stand and watch as they tied her son or the slave that kept running to four horses as he was torn apart, now she had to teach her kids never to run away,O black woman we love thee, but there was still strong black women that said, we go run , and never stop runing, O black woman we love thee, from the crown of thy head to the tip of you toes you are worthy. To get praised

• Lol! says:

The poet obviously has esteem problems if u have to ask why is it that someone of a lighter complexion is more attractive…kmt I’m tired of this dark vs bleach as ting….ur high or low self esteem is ur business not anyone elses.